Roof decking, the solid foundation upon which your roof stands, is a vital component that should not be forgotten when it comes to inspecting and maintaining your roof. But you may be asking yourself, how often should roof decking be replaced?
In this blog post, we will discuss factors that will help you determine when or how often you need to replace the decking of your roof. From the impact of weather to the effects of time and general wear, we will go over everything regarding the lifespan of roof decking. With the help of this guide, you will have all the knowledge needed to ensure the structural integrity of your roof remains intact and stands the test of time.
What Are The Signs That Indicate Roof Decking Needs Replacement?
Still not sure if it’s time for a new roof deck? Here are some telltale signs that it might be time to replace it:
- Leaks: If you have leaks in your roof, it’s a good indication that the decking may be impaired. Leaks can cause water damage to your home, so finding the source and getting it repaired as soon as possible is crucial.
- Sagging roof: If your roof is sagging, it’s a sign that the decking may be weak or damaged. Sagging can cause structural problems, so it’s important to have it repaired by an expert.
- Mold or mildew in the attic: If you see mold or mildew in the attic, it’s a sign that there may be a problem with the roof decking. This signifies that moisture may have damaged your roof deck and is contributing to the growth of mold.
- Daylight Through the Roof Boards: When you’re in the attic, if you can see daylight coming through the roof boards, this is a clear sign that there are gaps or holes in your decking that need to be addressed.
- Deteriorating Shingles: Shingles that are curling, buckling, or missing granules can indicate an underlying issue with the roof decking. Shingles may deteriorate faster if the decking is not providing proper support.
- Loose or Popped Up Roofing Nails: If nails that should be securing your roof’s shingles to the decking are loose or have popped up, it could indicate that the decking is deteriorating.
The Cost To Replace Roof Decking
The cost of replacing your roof decking can range from $2 to $7 per square foot or $2,400 to $12,600 on average, considering factors such as the size, pitch, and roofing material of your roof.
Here is a breakdown of the costs for roof deck replacement based on the size of a roof, including the number of sheets of plywood required, and the average cost for installation:
1. Roof Size: 1,000 square feet
– Sheets of Plywood Required: 30 – 35
– Average Cost Installed: $2,000 – $5,000
2. Roof Size: 1,500 square feet
– Sheets of Plywood Required: 45 – 50
– Average Cost Installed: $3,000 – $7,500
3. Roof Size: 2,000 square feet
– Sheets of Plywood Required: 60 – 65
– Average Cost Installed: $4,000 – $10,000
4. Roof Size: 2,500 square feet
– Sheets of Plywood Required: 75 – 80
– Average Cost Installed: $5,000 – $12,500
5. Roof Size: 3,000 square feet
– Sheets of Plywood Required: 90 – 95
– Average Cost Installed: $6,000 – $15,000
Note – These costs are estimates and can vary based on factors such as specific requirements of your roof and the materials used. It’s advised that homeowners consult with a professional contractor for an accurate assessment and cost estimate for their roof decking replacement.
How To Replace Roof Decking
To replace your roof decking and safeguard your home, follow these steps:
1. Assess your roof: Inspect for damage, rot, or structural issues.
2. Gather materials: Get the right plywood or OSB sheets and necessary tools.
3. Remove old decking: Carefully take off shingles and damaged decking.
4. Install new decking: Cut and secure plywood or OSB sheets to fit the size of the roof, especially around corners and angles.
5. Address repairs: Fix flashing or any other issues while replacing the decking.
6. Add underlayment and shingles: Apply the shingle layers properly for adequate protection.
7. Inspect and maintain: Inspect the replaced decking regularly to ensure it’s in good condition.
Always consult professionals if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process.
How To Prolong The Life Of Your Roof Decking
To extend the life of your roof decking and protect your investment, follow these essential tips:
1. Keep your gutters clean: Regularly remove debris and leaves to prevent clogs and water buildup, which can lead to rot and damage to your decking if the water backs up and pools on your roof.
2. Repair roof damage promptly: Address any signs of roof damage, such as missing shingles or leaks, immediately. Timely repairs prevent further deterioration of your decking and protect the underlying structure.
3. Schedule regular roof inspections: Have your roof professionally inspected at least once a year to identify potential issues early on. Detecting problems early allows for prompt repairs and helps extend the lifespan of your roof decking.
By implementing these maintenance practices, you can effectively prolong the life of your roof decking, ensuring its durability and protecting your home from costly damages.
Why Should You Hire A Professional For A Roof Replacement?
When it comes to roof replacement, hiring a professional is crucial for ensuring a successful and stress-free project. As trusted professionals in the industry, we understand the importance of quality workmanship and efficient solutions.
With our help, you can ensure that your roof decking is replaced effectively and in a timely manner. Contact Renova Roofing & Construction at (601) 647-3433 to experience the benefits of hiring a professional for your roof replacement project. Trust our knowledge and skills to provide a durable, long-lasting roof.